babe we both had dry spells, hard times, badlands

>> Saturday, March 15, 2008

I have been in love with Bruce Springsteen my entire life.

Allow me to explain. I don't remember the first time I heard a Springsteen song. If I had to guess I'd say it was Dancing in the Dark on the adult contemporary station my parents listened to. I don't remember always loving him. I probably only started liking his music when I was about 11 or 12. But once I got into it I knew. I find it difficult to explain. Maybe I was just a melancholy child, but I remember being in the 7th grade, sitting on my bedroom carpet and leaning against the bed, listening to Thunder Road. I remember knowing what he was talking about. Before I even entered high school I (stupidly or not) dreaded the end of it, because I knew what it would be like. I used to sit on the back steps of my high school, watching the sun set, thinking of how sad it would be when it was over. And yes, some of that may be buying into that beauty of youth/heartland/americana bullshit. I know it. I can't help it though - that stuff is a powerful draw (even for a non-American). But I've never felt like Springsteen was fooling me. I felt like he was honestly figuring things out, and if he wasn't being honest, then at least he was being fun. And he hasn't stopped. He hasn't left his best work to his early career (in defiance of that youth-is-best stuff) and continues to find ...I was going to say 'new ways to be relevant' but that sounds like garbage. But it's basically what I'm getting at.

I've come to appreciate his range and his ability to be serious about what he does without being too serious about himself. All that riding-out-tonight-to-case-the-Promised-Land stuff aside (and no, that is not my favourite album), my favourite image of The Boss is from his pre-Boss days - the skinny Jersey kid running up and down the stage with a bandanna or some ridiculous hat on his head, clowning around with Clarence Clemons, no trace of the Born in the USA body to come in sight.

A close second, of course, is those awesome bolos in the late 80s. Tunnel of Love is so under-rated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP