You can say it's my instinct. Yes, I still have one.

>> Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I feel good because I just got an email from the director of a not-for-profit for whom I (and two others in my program) just completed a project and report. The project was done on a pro-bono basis, as a way for us to practice some of our policy skills and for not-for-profits in the area to get some free policy work. Anyway, her email said a) she is very pleased with the report, b) she would like to take us out for dinner, c) she wants to arrange honoraria for us, and d) what is our status in the near future, should some full-time work become available?

I'm pretty pleased myself, and would have been even without all the extra 'stuff', because I know we worked hard and it was a good report. As usual, I put the most effort this year into something non-school-related.

In other news, I am excited about the imminent release of Steve Earle's album of Townes Van Zandt covers. For some reason admitting I like Steve Earle has always made me feel old...perhaps because my introduction to him was via classic rock radio when I was pretty young (similar to Springsteen in that way). Yes he was classic rock before I was even born. Anyway, anytime you read about Townes Van Zandt (my introduction to him came through the Josh Ritter song "Me & Jiggs") you hear something good Steve Earle has to say about him. Steve seems like a nice guy, and this whole album seems like it will be (I've only heard a couple of tracks so far) a true tribute to a dear old friend. And you know Steve must have loved Townes if he named his kid after him.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of 'love' songs. That's in quotes I guess because they're a bit unusual and sometimes a bit creepy. I don't know if it's the spring weather or the orientation of the latest Neko Case album, but I'm huge into this phase right now. Don't even get me started on "I'm An Animal" or "This Tornado Loves You". Neko Case is literally a force of nature. Literally? Yes.

Townes Van Zandt - If I Needed You
Wilco - She's a Jar
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - So Everyone
Ra Ra Riot - Can You Tell
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - This Love is Fucking Right!

(I'm going to assume everyone has the new Neko Case album so I won't bother posting links. Am I done talking about her already? Probably not.)

What are your favourite odd or slightly creepy love songs?

1 comments:

jamesthian March 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

sex is boring - ballboy.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP