a serious one now

>> Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I came across this letter while searching for the meaning of the word "booshoo" (interestingly enough, it seems to mean something in both Ojibway and Farsi).

Looking into Grassy Narrows, I see that this particular project is a campaign by the Rainforest Action Network, one of the groups I did some work with in my freewheelin' (by which I mean my services were free) consulting days. All these things come back together...

There was something on the radio this morning about development somewhere in Ontario and a conflict with a First Nations community (I was half asleep so I don't remember where or with whom). I do remember a woman explaining what it was like to have bulldozers come in and tear up trees that had been growing for decades, scarring the land, just for the purpose of prospecting, and what it felt like to see your homeland torn up that way. So, besides the issues of resource benefits sharing and land claims issues, I think I am starting to understand how these things affect people on a more personal level.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP