there's few things more loved in Alabama than football and the men who know how to win at it

>> Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fun fact: lately I am into football. Alright, I realize the original "if Sandra Bullock can figure it out then so can I" justification sounds like weak motivation (TO YOU), but it turns out there are a lot of things I genuinely enjoy about it. To name a few:
  1. Strategy - there is pure talent, yes, but so much more going on. Plays, special teams, highly specialized players...it's like a science. I like science.
  2. I used to play rugby, so it turns out I understand a lot more about the game than I realized.
  3. The Southern thing (see post title).
  4. Is it just me, or are the best sports movies about football?
  5. Trick plays, fumbles, anything can happen!
  6. So many rules = speaking in a different language once you learn them. Fun.
  7. Is there another sport where people actively care about the game not only at the national level, but also at the college AND high school levels? Wondrous.

Mark Wahlberg, as Vincent Papale, picks up a fumble and shows his ex-wife what's what in Invincible

Race relations. That scene at Gettysburg. Friday night lights on the high school field. Surprise appearance by Ryan Gosling. Who doesn't love Remember the Titans?


So that's my current take on football and the culture that surrounds it. I actually like that there is so much to learn and understand about it. The barriers to entry are high, but the rewards are great.



Plus, if Sandra Bullock can do it, then so can I.

p.s. note her man-sized watch here. Key accessory. I need one, stat.

2 comments:

Mark January 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

mmmmmm......Alabama. mmmmmmm.....men.

b January 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

I made this post just for you, Mark, knowing you were into those things.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP