only our age between us

>> Sunday, February 7, 2010

For those of you who enjoy my ongoing hackery, here are some things I've been noticing and thinking about lately. My latest copy of Vogue is lying on the coffee table, unopened, while I read style and other useless but interesting blogs voraciously. So maybe Vogue says something different about the state of things, I can't really say right now.

Garance Doré had a typically funny/silly/sweet post this week about spring's great big horrifying trend in footwear...are you ready for this? Clogs. Oh god. Like so many other ridiculous trends, we almost uniformly recoil in disgust at first, but the question is: will we come around to them? Are clogs the new gladiator sandals? The problem is that I just don't think we have the kind of willpower necessary to stand up for ourselves. We are so easily suggestible - a few early-adopters pick them up, stores stock them, and suddenly it's something you must have before you're one of those pathetic late-adopters (don't you just hate them). We don't have any choice in the matter. Go buy some clogs. You have been warned.

No pictures. I refuse.

At least it's not completely out of nowhere. Clogs fit with the 70s theme that involves more colour (muted ones, though, it's still a recession! I can't think of a way to describe it other than 'dark pastels'. Maybe I had better go read that Vogue after all), soft textures and feminine tailoring - a very different silhouette than the big on top, skinny on bottom look of the last several years that has culminated in a leather-studded celebration of the 80s. Like Charlie's Angels or something I would picture Carly Simon or Joni Mitchell wearing back then.

I love the blue. Maybe I will get a felt hat.
It's all very good to think about wearing more colour but I am just now realizing that everything I bought over the last two years is black. What happened?! I don't even like black. My nails are even painted black as I type this. See what I mean about being helpless in the face of trends? Luckily I never throw anything out, so I will be digging back to things from 5-6 years ago to help me out.

Does anyone else think the Canadiana trend is slightly ridiculous? Perhaps it's due to my conflicted relationship with things that are perceived as being typically "Canadian". I don't know about you, but there aren't any lumberjacks in my family and none of us ever played hockey. There's a reason there are more cricket pitches in the GTA than hockey rinks. Not that Toronto is the centre of the universe or anything (hehe), but exactly whom does buffalo plaid speak to? That said, I love this radio by Science&Sons:

ummmm my birthday is coming up soon...
Gentlemen - I'll deal with you later. In the meantime, here are some words thrown together that should suggest a few things to you: sports-inspired wear (i.e. regular clothing inspired by sports like skiing and polo and other rich people sports, not like basketball shorts), American classics, laid back, Nate Archibald (not Chuck Bass), stop wearing skinny pants. OK, that last one was more of an outright imperative.

I love this picture and everything it suggests:

Moncler Gamme Bleu by Thom Browne, FW 2010
Happy Sunday everyone! I'm going to spend the day cleaning in anticipation of my sister's arrival and trying to avoid thinking about what a 12-game winning streak might have felt like.

3 comments:

Mark February 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

I agree. Be done with black. It’s like only eating bread because it will sustain you. I’m not looking for sustenance, I’m looking for wow.

Skinny pants, on the other hand, should be celebrated for a long time as a protest to our baggy-pant-wearing forefathers. For shame!

Thank you for leaving out the picture of the clogs.

Regarding Canadiana, I submit that it’s prolly more like Quebecois, where people are lumberjacks, play hockey, drink maple syrup as a substitute for dairy and grow beards out of necessity.

tribalwaif February 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

I know skinny pants for girls are trendy, but seriously, I balk everytime I have to try to slip 'em on (or off). This is why I only own one pair (and they're not that skinny).

As for clogs, unless you're dutch and dressed up in traditional garb and the clogs look like this, and you look like this, than you shouldn't be wearing them.

b February 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

@ Mark - I hadn't really thought about that. Interesting that 'Canadiana' is also essentially 'Quebecois'. It makes me wonder who else we're leaving out, and why this image has become so dominant. I'm glad I have at least one Quebecker friend to point these things out to me :)

@ Yas - but you could actually pull them off! it doesn't have to be jeans, there's always leggings...

as for clogs...just wait. But I'M not going to buy them!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP