can't hardly wait

>> Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I feel really good this morning. I slept well last night and I feel like I might even have a bit of a glow to me today. It might be due to these new B-vitamins I'm taking, but I'm pretty convinced it's actually the result of an amazing show I saw last night. So props to my friend Mark for dragging me out on a Monday night to see Joe Pug and Justin Townes Earle at the Horseshoe Tavern. I have been meaning to see the younger Earle for a while now but never got around to it, so I'm glad I got to see him while he's still playing venues as small as the 'shoe.

JTE (as all the other bloggers are calling him) sounds simultaneously 28 years old (!) and much, much older. It's all pedal steel and fiddle (played by the same guy) and upright bass; silly songs about hogging the bed alongside tearjerkers about his mama and one or two classic travellin' man blues (and a song or two about a train). He did Hank Williams and Carter family songs without sounding like a hack and then covered a Replacements tune with believable angst. The man is like the past, present, and future of country music all in one.

I also really enjoyed the opener, Joe Pug (I will automatically love almost anyone with a harmonica). He's got a great, gravelly voice that I loved and a nice smile, as well as some pretty solid tunes. More rugged-sounding than JTE (no pedal steel here) but definitely good for delivering a few lyrical gut-punches. Also, he got some lady in the crowd dancing, which was kind of weird but cool, I guess. I'm kind of bummed about being out of cash so I didn't get to pick up his new CD (released just last week), but hopefully will figure out a way to do that soon. In the meantime, links!

Justin Townes Earle (listen to Midnight at the Movies and Mama's Eyes)

Joe Pug (listen to Not So Sure and Hymn #101)

Does anyone know how to post mp3s on blogger? I have been trying to figure out a simple way of doing this.

1 comments:

sangdebeouf March 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

I'll just let the praise wash down over me.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP